This structure was a combined Groupment Command Post (GPMTCP) and a Gun Group Command Post (GCP), each with their own underground room and Obesrvation Booth in front.
The building was completed and turned over to the Army in July 1943. It replaced an earlier one a few hundred yards south that had been built in 1908. Once this building was operational the old one was torn down to make room for the HECP.
The GPMTCP/GCP is built into a hill over a tunnel between Batteries Ash and Benson. The GPMTCP side was protected from a gas attack by an airlock and filters, the GCP side was not. It turned out that the same filtering system along with the thick walls and earth cover would provide protection from radiation in the event of a nuclear attack.
All photos are from March 2013 unless otherwise identified.
Photo album created with Web Album Generator